In the early 1900s, John Schroeder of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, began to assemble the land known today as the Schroeder-Manatee Ranch (SMR). An owner of furniture, turpentine, milling and lumber businesses, Schroeder selected this beautiful land for its abundant natural resources and beauty.
In 1922, the Uihlein family, founders of Schlitz Brewing Company, acquired the land and continued to expand the agricultural operations still active today, which include cattle ranching, vegetable, citrus, timber, and turf farming as well as shell mining.
In 1994, after years of planning and approvals, real estate development began with the introduction of Lakewood Ranch. The stewardship of a great American family, a history of successful land management and a strong financial plan make Lakewood Ranch a sound investment and a great place to live, work and play.
In 1996, Lakewood Ranch Commercial Realty was formed and has since emerged as the leader in commercial real estate services within the Sarasota, Manatee and Lakewood Ranch marketplace.